Timetable and useful information

FMLA update
For those of you who have been following this (hello my lovely 13!), my FMLA and salary continuation paperwork has been accepted by HR. My contact said everything "looks good" and is "on-track."

Next step -- pre-op
I e-mailed my wonderful patient coordinator today to ask about when my next appointment would be. This is what I have found out:

  • 6 weeks prior to surgery: sign and return "Surgical Contraindication" form (done); this form explains that I cannot have ANY tobacco products for the six weeks prior to and six months after my surgery. Additionally, I will not be able to have Aleve, Motrin, Ib-profen and any other anti-inflammatory or blood thinning product during this time. At my blood test, if any of these products or substances are found in my blood, my surgery will be cancelled. (du, du, DUM!)
  • 2 weeks prior to surgery: blood work will be done to check for nicotine, pregnancy and other vile conditions.
  • 1-3 weeks prior (time is unestablished): this is one of those points that my mom, Grandma and possibly more of you will want to look away. Hey, I'm trying to be honest as possible, so if any of you ever have to do this, you'll know EXACTLY what to expect. I'm to stop taking birth control at least a week prior to surgery or don't start a new pack if my cycle ends 2-3 weeks prior. I'll keep the exact time to myself.
  • 1 week prior to surgery: pre-testing and pre-registration at the hospital; I'll have a platelet test to show how my blood clots and a chest x-ray (EKG). This will be scheduled with an internal medical physician on-staff at the hospital (Baylor Plano) named Dr. Nguyen. Dr. Nguyen will also see me each day I'm in the hospital.
  • Week of surgery (not a specific day): Pre-op visit with my surgeon, Dr. Hostin; A family member (mom?) will go with me. Dr. Hostin will go over the procedure, risks and answer any questions I have. I'll also need to sign consent forms and do any additional testing they see fit, which could include a myelogram/CT (looks at my spinal cord using dye), discogram/CT (enhanced x-ray using dye), pulmonary test (checks my lung function), stress test/cardiac (checks my heart), MRI (imaging technique) and/or bone density testing. Additionally, I will be fitted for my brace, which I will wear AT ALL TIMES, unless lying completely flat, for FOUR MONTHS.
  • 5 days prior to surgery: I'll start washing my neck, chest, abdomen, sides and back with Hibiclens Antibacterial Soap, which they say is stronger than the average soap. I need to do this daily up to the day of surgery (I'm expecting a joke from Carra here).
  • 2 days prior to surgery: I'll swab each nostril twice a day with a prescription cream to help reduce bacteria and infection.
  • 1 day prior: one last blood test at the hospital to type my blood and send this information to the blood bank.
  • Additional appointments: I have the option to take a tour of the hospital to see all the areas where I will be. I think I'd like to do this. Also, I'll need to meet with a staff member from the rehab facility to go over information about my time there.

To make this really suspenseful, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post the schedules for the day of my surgery and timetable for after my surgery. I know, I know...you'll be waiting with bated breath until then! Be strong, my friends. We all love a good cliffhanger, right?

For now, you can comment on the above information and give me any remedies you know of for headaches that do not require any of the aforementioned pills or any anti-inflammatory or blood-thinning agents.

2 comments:

Kimberly 'Riggle' Franek said...

I have headache remedies...From my sister-in-law. Here's a post from her. I also couldn't take anything: Headache queen here and something that really works is Head-on (you know - "head on, applied directly to the forehead". Also, migraine patches (which is basically just menthol in a patch) is good for night time because you can just stick it to your forehead when you are sleeping. Your head will get all tingly so you sorta forget about the headache for awhile.

Hang in there. You'll get this. You're in my thoughts everyday!

Megs said...

Thank you, Kim! I swore off Head-on due to their stupid commercials, but I guess I'll have to give in and go get some! I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

xoxo

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template