Riddle me this: the question list

Read them, write them
I'm making a list of questions that I want to ask the doctor at my next visit, which won't be for at least a month. Probably in the beginning of December, the patient coordinator said.

Here's the deal readers--my list needs your help. Ever noticed how much more it helps to bounce an idea off someone else, than just to go with your own first thoughts? If you could, let me know if a question comes to your head whenever you think about the surgery or recovery or if you just see a question that's obvious to you but is not on this list. I can't tell you how much this will help me.

Here's the start of my list:

1. How long will the surgery last?

2. How long will I be in the hospital afterward?

3. When people go back to work after their month or two off, are they typically able to do full days or not?

4. Will I be in a brace? If so, for how long?

5. Will I need a cane or a walker? How long?

6. If I am in a brace, how long each day do I need to wear it?

7. How will I sleep? Will I be able to lay on my back at all?

8. My mother's surgeon used bone from her ribs (Mom, is this right?) in her back. Will I need anything like that?

9. Will I be able to play soccer or snowboard or other sports and games where I may fall or get hit?

10. How long will it take for the hump in my back that I currently have to go away? It will go away, right?

11. How long will it take for the bottom curve to straighten out on its own?

12. How tall will I be when this is all over?

13. Do I need to give blood prior to surgery? Or can I not, since I'm anemic? I honestly don't know if that's a silly question or not.

14. Will I get a chance to talk with the anesthesiologist before the surgery?

15. How long typically before people can exercise again?

16. How long will I be in constant pain?

17. What exactly happens in the surgery?

18. Will I be in the ICU afterward, like my mother was?

19. If the second curve doesn't fix itself on its own like you said it will, will I have to have surgery again to fix that one, too?

20. How much will it approximately cost? (not assuming insurance)

....now your turn. Let me know if any other questions pop into your head or if you think I should ask for more explanation on anything.

A second part to this post will eventually happen that will have answers to all (I hope) of these questions. For now, ask away.

9 comments:

CCwriter said...

How soon and how often can you take a bath and/or shower, and will you need assistance?

Pill Box Tales said...

My contribution: to ask to speak to a patient of his that might be close to your age, to find out they wished they would have asked.

carra said...

I think you have covered it, and I am sure as the time gets closer at hand more questions will pop up. I was trying to think of something else but I couldnt, but I love someone thought about the shower/bath situation. OOOOOHH...speaking of, if you are in a brace is it removable all the time, or only when you can hold your back in a certain position? love you.

Megs said...

Great advice, ladies. Those will be added.

Catherine, are you offering your assistance? :) IJS.

Mom said...

Good News! Dad read your blog and was very impressed! I think you should ask about physical therapy--where, when, how often, how long? Also, they took a rib because they did bone grafts in my spine--will you need that?
Blood--I gave in advance and I think you will, too.

Anything else I think of, I will let you know.

XOXO Mom

Megs said...

Thanks, Mom! I'm glad you showed Dad the blog, and your questions are great.

Bone grafts sound painful. I'm going to have to wikipedia that.

xoxo

KEC said...

How soon can people visit you in the hospital? What are visiting hours?

Megs said...

I'll add it to the list, Kels.

Thx!

xoxo

Megs said...

I have another question to add to the list--will my "rib hump" go away with this surgery? I understand it's a result of the twisting of my spine, so will this type of surgery fix the twisting or just the curving?

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template