Breaking news (more to come) -- I may be developing an ulcer

Uh-oh
I'm trying to get my paperwork together to submit to work to take a leave of absence (under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, fyi). My doctor's office faxed me their portion of the FMLA paperwork just now. On it it says that I'll be unable to work for:

8-12 weeks from Jan. 14, 2009 surgery. Then part-time return to work, then full-time intermittently TBD.

Wow. Thats not what I thought. When I spoke with the doctor, he said I could probably (which I know "probably" doesn't start out factual statements) go back to work after about six weeks. This is what I told my boss and the people I work with--six weeks.

Now imagine me having to tell them that I may be gone two weeks longer than that or even twice as long! Three months?! That puts me back half-way through our busiest time of the year. This is not a conversation I want to have with my boss (disclaimer in case anyone at work is reading this: I know I have the best boss in the whole world and any concerns he has about this are definitely well-founded and understandable, but I still don't want to have to tell him this!).

I just e-mailed my patient coordinator to ask her which is more likely-- the 6 weeks estimate or the 8-12 weeks one. Maybe I got a better estimate because I'm young and healthy, and maybe the longer estimate is the standard answer they give on the FMLA forms for most people. She's usually pretty quick at e-mailing me back, so I'll post again as soon as I have more information. Keep your fingers crossed with me.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template