I wish it did grow on trees

I should have been a doctor...
...because apparently they are millionaires. I just got an informational list of my expenses from the hospital. It is not a bill. My insurance is being notified of the costs and things will be adjusted before they get back to me with how much I owe. Once that happens, I'll update the running total for how much I am paying.

So before I go further, let's try a little exercise. Think in your head of how much you think the total given to me by the hospital is. It should include the actual surgery, six days and five nights in a room, all the meds I was given while there, x-rays and basically all work done on me while I was there. Think about it. Got your number? Ok, here is the actual total:

wait for it....

wait for it...

$179,654.02!!

Holy shit! I still get shocked when I see that number. It actually makes me laugh. Like a hysterical, non-sensical kind of laugh, but still a laugh. I had no clue it would be that high. I was thinking anywhere from $70k to $90k.

Here's a breakdown for those of you who want to know how exactly that happens:

  • Surgery: $17,547.86
  • Central supply: $353.25
  • IV therapy: $1,514.90
  • Reference lab: $61.68
  • Chemistry: $3,073.35
  • Microbiology: $563.34
  • Hematology: $1,479.92
  • Urinalysis/serology: $247.29
  • Blood bank: $883.63
  • Lab point of care: $2,422.52
  • EEG: $7,099.40
  • Radiology: $3,452.63
  • Pharmacy: $8,383.87
  • Anesthesia supplies: $680.45
  • Anesthesia service: $1,586.46
  • Cardiopulmonary: $2,911.59
  • Physical therapy: $1,018.22
  • Occupational therapy: $879.71
  • Surgery (I don't know why this is listed twice, but will find out): $119,773.95
  • Room board: $5,720.00
  • For a grand total, once again, of $179,654.02
Once again, I do not have to pay that amount (thank goodness) because I have insurance. My insurance will figure out how much I do owe and will get back to me. I never realized how much people without insurance have to pay. Can you imagine if you didn't have insurance and needed some kind of emergency surgery and were in the hospital for days?! It would be awful. This was a real eye opener for me. I am very lucky. Hopefully the insurance will get back to me with a very, very small number. I hope I'm that lucky!

5 comments:

KEC said...

OMG!

CheyneCuts+Collects said...

...OMFG.

let's list all the things your back is worth. I know it's worth an entire really nice house in arlington!

Megs said...

OMG is right!

Cheyne, you're actually the third person to say that I could have bought a house with this. Weird.

Gregg Shields, The Commissioner said...

I agree with Cheyne. It's only money. You are more important. It's a nice house, a REALLY cool car, a BA at an Ivy League school, but this is your health, your life, and your ability to live it well.
Worth every penney.
You are still in our thoughts and prayers, but we'll wait a while longer before we demand you volunteer to PRSA. :)

Lauren said...

It is crazy, isn't it. My dad had to have emergency heart surgery two years ago. He didn't have insurance, but it was life or death surgery. His total bill was somewhere in the $800K range. Through some miracle he ended up only having to pay less than $10K of it.

I'm glad you're doing better. Those x-rays are crazy! I had no idea how crooked your spine really was!

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template