Parties, pep talks and buddha, buddha

Best. Weekend. Ever.
So I just wanted to say a big HUGE "thank you" to every one who made my pre-op weekend so special. Friday night I hung out with some of my closest girlfriends to release some of my pre-surgery jitters. I think I got pretty relaxed there, hey ladies? :)

On Saturday, Matt and I had a lovely date night, which included a trip to Borders to buy a Debussy CD to help me relax during recovery. Then on Sunday, I woke up and drove home to meet my mom for a nail appointment. When I walked in the door, all of a sudden.....

"Surprise!"

My family had thrown me a surprise party! My sister Misty was behind it all, coming up with the surprise idea, suggesting we have brunch (my favorite meal!) and inviting the whole family over. It was absolutely wonderful. I've never had a surprise party before! I was so shocked, I didn't know what to do. We ate a lot of wonderful food, drank mimosas and hibiscuses and opened presents. That's right....presents.

I received PJ's, books, crossword puzzles, sudoku, brain teasers, a towel and washcloth set for the hospital, a journal and a trash bag of gifts from my Aunt Monette. I love each and every thing I got. The trash bag was super creative and sweet. 'Nette wrapped a ton of small gifts and filled the bag with them. I get to unwrap one every day while I'm recovering. Pretty cool, huh?

So, as I said, it was the best weekend ever.

Last day at work--surprisingly sad
You would think that getting a few months off of work would be exciting. It is actually extremely stressful. My last month, especially the last two weeks, have been very stressful. I tried my best to wrap up what projects I could and leave behind materials for my colleagues to use in my absence for my on-going projects.

Yesterday was my official last day for the next two to three months. My colleagues had a German chocolate cake made especially for me. Chocolate...they know me so well.

I was so intent on getting things somewhat squared away, I was up there til late in the night. It was sad to leave, actually. My friend and co-worker Jeamy and I had dinner and drinks afterward, so that helped. :)

Pep talk
Also yesterday, I received a call from Sally, my friend Kelsey's mom. Sally gave me probably the best pep talk ever. Kels told her I had been freaking out. She called me to talk about how she could help and ended up helping me turn a corner.

She asked me what my biggest fear is. I told her that I think it is falling asleep and not waking up again after my surgery. She explained that that will not happen unless I choose for it to happen. The best thing possible that I can do for myself is to be positive and ask my angels (both those here on earth like my friends and family and those who have already passes) to help me make it through this safely.

There were lots of other things said. She promised to take care of me in her own way and send me good vibes. This morning, I woke up smiling. I've felt great all day. I'm not scared. At least not right now. All that "buddha, buddha" is working!

My own mantra
Kelsey also helped me in another way yesterday. She helped me figure out my mantra. A mantra is basically something you repeat to quiet your mind, focus on and create a positive energy. I will say my mantra to myself again and again and focus on it whenever I feel freaked out or need a little support.

I combined a couple of her suggestions. My mantra is:

I will be ok. My angels will guide me.

All I want out of this is to be ok. I don't want to end up any worse than I already am. But sometimes I don't think I can do this on my own, so I've asked my angels for help. My mantra will help me to be positive and have faith.

Far out, huh? ;-)

4 comments:

Kimberly 'Riggle' Franek said...

Good luck tomorrow! Matt, Mom and I will be thinking about you and praying for you. We send everything good and positive your way in hopes of a swift recovery.

Lots of love!

Shantell Wyatt said...

Been thinking about you Megs, good luck tomorrow!

Becky said...

Love you tons, thinking of you, and praying for you, sweetie! You are going to come through this just fabulously! Just remember to breathe, k? :)

Megs said...

Thank you to each of you lovely ladies! xoxo

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template