Here we go!

This is weird
I feel strange. After a very intense massage (thank you, Kelsey, for the wonderful gift!), I felt weightless and honestly a little high. Now, I'm feeling absolutely beat. I still have to finish my laundry and pack. Then, off to bed to get probably very little sleep.

My schedule
12 a.m. no more food or drinks.
3 a.m. wake up, take long shower since I don't know when my next one will be; use Hibiclens soap (it's an antiseptic I've been using since Friday on doctor's orders to kill bacteria), no other soaps and no lotions.
4 a.m. mom will french braid my hair. I got this tip on SSO. You braid your hair before surgery, so that you don't get a big bad 'fro when they move you from bed to bed.
4:30 a.m. we'll leave for the hospital in Plano.
5:30 a.m. check in at the hospital.
7:30 a.m. surgery starts.

It's really strange to me right now. Since I was 12 years old and was first diagnosed, I've tried to avoid surgery. Then, since September, I've been counting down to tomorrow, both looking forward and dreading it. Now it's here. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Things I'm looking forward to

  • Being at least a little bit taller
  • My chest evening out :)
  • No more back hump
  • No more rib hump
  • Being smaller around my chest/back
  • No more pain when I wake up in the morning or at night
  • No more pain when I take a deep breath
  • Getting this out of the way when I'm young and healthy
  • Not turning into a humped-back, hunched-over old lady.

Things I'm not looking forward to

  • Getting an IV
  • Having a catheter
  • Being put to sleep
  • Pain after surgery
  • Getting around
  • Not being able to do everything I want to do
    Missing out on things
FYI
Tomorrow through at least Saturday, I'll be at:
Baylor Medical Center at Plano
4700 Alliance Blvd.
Plano, TX

I can have visitors right away after surgery, just no one under 12 during my first day or two that I am in ICU. After that, all welcome.

My surgeon doesn't think I'll need to go to the rehab facility after my hospital stint, like I had thought. He said he hasn't sent anyone under 30 there this year, so that's good. It would be nice to just go home.

If you need to know my parents' address, just leave me a message on here. If you want an update, feel free to call Matt or my parents. If you don't need a personal update, just check on here. Matt and/or my mother will be posting blogs for me until I am able. I promise that they will post at least once tomorrow. So check back often.

To my angels
Thank you all so, so much for all the love and support you have shown me--on here, in text messages, in person and all ways. I feel all the good vibes y'all are sending me! Please, please keep the prayers coming.

See you soon!

xoxo

5 comments:

Joe The Visualist said...

hang in there! kiddo, you'll be fine!xo

heather ann white said...

Megan, I will be praying for your surgery and a very speedy recovery. I think you are so brave to write about your experience and I'm sure you will help others be more comfortable and less scared. We're all thinking about you!

Love,
Heather

Becky said...

Still thinking of you and praying for you sweetie! I hope to see a good news update soon!

KEC said...

Hey Megan, it's Kristen. I had a dream last night that you were here visiting us in NC and it was the day after your surgery. I'm taking that as a sign that you're going great! Hang in there girl. It may be a long journey, but will be well worth it! You have lots of people thinking about you and cheering you on! Love Ya!

Megs said...

Thanks to each of you for the well wishes! They worked!

xoxo

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template