Background--first post, first blog



My name is Megs (kind of). I'm 25 years old, at least for a few more weeks! I have scoliosis. That's what this is about.

Scoliosis is a medical condition in which a person's spine is curved side to side. Often, it also twists in and out.

My curve is an "S" curve. It's what it sounds like. My spine looks like a backwards "s". I have a large curve on the right-side of my back where my shoulder blade is. I'll try to get an image of my x-ray to post on here. My next curve is smaller and down further on the left.

My spine both curves side to side and twists in and out.

Why Blog?
I've decided to start a blog to talk about my experience for three reasons.

One, when researching what people like me have decided to do in these situations, I didn't find a lot. There was very little to no information on women my age going through this. Everything seemed to be about old women and young children. My blog is a chance for me to reach out to others like me--young, 20-something, active women with scoliosis.

Two, blogging is a release. It's my online journal, and I think it will help me to talk myself through this journey.

Finally, for my loved ones, its a chance to keep up with me and what I'm going through. Sometimes it's hard for me to share my emotions and troubles. This is their opportunity to see this side.

I plan on posting a blog at least once a week. There will be more some weeks, of course, but I will always try to have one a week.

So if you've made it through this so far, you must be a) really, really bored b)interested in my experience c)in my family.

Either way, enjoy and read on!

13 comments:

matt said...

I would just like to express my utmost support in this journey you will be taking. Don't worry though... you will not come to the destination alone, for we will have journied with you. All my Love

Matt :P

carra said...

life is about challenges, and that has never scared you Megs, only made you better. i love you.

Megs said...

I love you, too, Matt & Carra!

I already knew that y'all feel everything you both said, but it still feels great to read.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Megan, I know that I don't see you much nor do we talk very much on the phone, but I want you to know, that I think about you often and wonder how you're doing. I never knew that you had this condition and through reading your blog, it really opened my eyes to this condition and you as a person. One thing I do know is that you are and always will be one of the strongest and most stellar people I know. I know that these traits that you posses will carry you this through this journey and you will come out of it stronger than ever. If there's anything that I could ever do for you, I want you to know that I will be there. I know you ever so many amazing friends that can do that for you, but I want you to know that I am one of them too. You are always in my thoughts and I love you. From the bottom of my heart, I mean it.

Tory

Megs said...

Thank u, T. I appreciate your words and definitely take them to heart.

I'm shocked to hear from you and a few other messages I've received about how strong I am. I don't think of myself that way. If I am strong at all, it is because of all of my family and friends that have given me the love and support to be that way.

xoxo

Lauren said...

Good luch with this! I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts. I'm glad you're blogging. I love reading blogs. You are now on my list of weekly blogs to read.

love ya!
lauren

Mom said...

Meg, I love your blog. You always amaze me with everything you say and do. Although I think you are already perfect, you will truly be perfect when this is all over. Dad and I will love to wait on you hand and foot during your recovery! I love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Looks like you and I might both be living under Mom & Dad's roof again during your surgery, so I would like to say that I look forward to watching Mom and Dad wait on you hand and foot during your recovery. :) Everything happens for a reason & you will make it through this. Love you!

Megs said...

Thanks, Mom! I know you & Dad will probably do more for me than I really need. I foresee gaining a few pounds from all the ice cream I see Dad bringing me and lots of painkillers from you. I won't debate here which is better (on the one hand there's sweet, sweet ice cream...on the other, delicious painkillers. I say, put your hands together.)

Wendy, I expect nothing less than you to watch Mom & Dad take care of me while you push me toward a speedy recovery! LOL

brad22582 said...

Hello there megs! Great blog by the way, it is very informative and well written. I would just like you to know that I hope the surgery goes well for you with no complications. My best friend Chris has Scoliosis as well. He was diagnosed in the 6th grade too and never did anything about it. Now he suffers from neck pain along with migraine headaches on a weekly basis. I will definitely recommend this blog to him. keep up the good work and again I hope and prey all is well with you!

Megs said...

Thank you, Brad! I really appreciate your comments and well wishes.

I wanted to do this blog to keep my family and friends up-to-date but also to share with others who may be going through this, too, and hopefully hear their stories, as well.

Thanks for recommending the blog to your friend!

misty said...

Hey, don't worry about the surgery (I know, like you can help it). Mom got through it, and I know you can get through it too. I was scared when I had my "little surgery" this summer, but then it was over and I was fine. Yours will be over before you know it, and you'll be glad that you took care of the problem. You'll feel better and look better, and be so happy you did it. We will all be here to help you recover. I will have Erin sing you lullabys whilst Ryan is rubbing your feet and changing your dressings. Good job on the blog. I'm proud of you for being so strong. If you ever need anything, I'm here for you. Love you! Misty

Megs said...

Thank you, sister. You have no idea how good it feels to hear from you today.

I hope you told ER what you posted, so they can prepare to wait on me!

xoxo

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template