Happy New Year! a (long) update on this week

Hello, 2009.
This year will be a big one for me. I'm undergoing a journey that will certainly change my life for the next year, the ramifications of which will possibly change my life forever. In less than two weeks, I take a big step--surgery to correct my scoliosis. It will be a new year and a new me. This week, I took a couple more little steps toward this big one.

Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano
I signed myself up for an optional tour of the hospital where I will be having my surgery. I figured that it might make me feel more comfortable with everything if I knew my surroundings. Staying overnight in a hospital was one of the things that sounded a little scary to me. My doctor's office coordinated it for me, so that the hospital's nurse navigator would know exactly what parts of the hospital would be most important to me.

Monday afternoon, my parents and I drove to Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano. Once inside, the nurse navigator, a cheerful, wonderfully helpful woman named Betsy, showed us around. Our first stop was to the physical therapy offices to meet some of the people in there who I would be working with.

Physical/Occupational Therapy
I met the occupational therapist who would help me. The physical therapist wasn't there. Basically, the occupational therapist will help me learn to do everyday-type activities, while the physical therapist will help me with more physical activities, like walking and moving.

My OT gave me a rundown of what my time mostly likely will be like with her. On my first day after surgery, I'll sit up for the first time in a chair for about an hour. I also might practice feeding myself ice chips, brushing my teeth or wiping my face with a washcloth. I know--it sounds like child's play, but it will be hard for me to do. She said I will probably not be able to lift my arms very high, maybe to my shoulders, for the next six to eight weeks.

On my second day after surgery, I will sit in the chair once in the morning and once in the afternoon. If I'm doing well, I may even try walking. From this point to the end of my stay, probably around four or five days before I'm transferred to rehab, I will eventually walk to and use the bathroom and will learn to take a shower again at least once. I didn't ask her this (I know I should have), but I wonder what that is like. Will she just stand outside of the shower, making sure I don't keel over or will she be in there with me in some sort of heavy duty raincoat? That will be a little surprise for me, I guess.

ICU/PCU and other places of interest
From there, Nurse Betsy took us to talk to the guest services manager, who will be checking on me and my family to make sure we're getting settled. She gave my parents info on nearby hotels and discounts there. Everyone we had met was super, super friendly, and each one just couldn't wait to bend over backward to help us. I always thought hospitals to be sterile, unfriendly places, but not here.

On the third floor, I saw where I will go to await surgery--a wing they call "Day Surgery," whether that's what you're having or not. Once here, I'll change into a gown, put on leggings that will help prevent blood clots and will "relax" in bed. I'll get to meet my anesthesiologist here, too, and some nurses. They'll give me my first IV in my arm, with a numbing solution, they promised. Then, once I get some happy juice in me and drift off to la-la land, they'll add two more IVs, one in my neck and one in my wrist, and I'll get a lovely catheter in my bladder.

That's not all the tubes, ladies and gentlemen. Once wheeled off to surgery (on floor two, for those of you keeping up), I'll get a little hole in my esophagus with a tube for breathing. After my surgery is done (surgery details to come in a future post), I'll get a tube in my back where blood and fluids will drain. Then, they'll wheel me to the Intensive Care Unit on floor three to get situated, part of which will include checking my arms and legs for paralysis (eek! this is the spine, people) and to get my pain pump going. Approximately 30 minutes later, I'll be able to have people come see me. Although, I hope to still be knocked out for as long as possible.

I'll be in ICU for one to two nights. I will be able to have visitors, but no children and no using cell phones. For anyone who does visit, my mother will explain to you the details on washing before you enter my room. Nurse Betsy explained this to us in detail. It's for both mine and your protection.

When touring the ICU, I saw my surgeon and his surgical assistant Eric. Dr. Hostin was on a cell phone, so I didn't get to say "hi" to him. Funny thing, this was right after Nurse Betsy told us we can't use cell phones in ICU because it messes up the equipment. I thought neither one of them would recognize me, but Eric looked up at me and said, "Hey, I thought you looked familiar! How are you?" I said a quick "hi" and "good" before we ducked into an ICU room. Even funnier thing, I'm completely embarrassed around Eric, even though I know he's a doctor and I shouldn't be. Thing is, when I first went to see Dr. Hostin, Eric gave me my physical exam before I saw Hostin. I was so nervous, I was sweating profusely. Then this hot (sorry, Matt) doc comes in, and I have to bend over in front of him while he runs his finger down my dripping spine. I was so embarrassed, although my mom found it hilarious. Anyhoo....

From there, we went to the Progressive Care Unit, also on floor 3. I'll be here for the rest of my stay. It will have a few chairs that lay out into beds, a bathroom with a shower and a TV. I can have as many visitors as I want here, even kids. A few cool things about this area, the TV has a relaxation channel with soothing music and images, which will be good during recovery, and my first meals will be here. The cool thing about the meals is that it's not just any old food they bring you. I assumed I'd be eating mystery meat, broccoli and jello at their will, but no...I get to order room service. Anything I want from the menu. Of course, this made me excited.

For the rest of you visitors, we toured floor G, where the cafeteria is. It looked very decent. There's also a Starbucks coffee shop on floor one.

All in all, the tour was great. I'm so glad I decided to take it, even though it wasn't necessary. It made me feel a little bit better about what I'm going to be doing. I even went home with a folder filled with info on the hospital and important phone numbers for many of the people there.

Bluhd, bluhd!
The next step occurred yesterday, when I went to a lab to have my blood drawn and give a urine sample for testing. They took four blood vials, which seemed like a lot to me, but the nurse said they have a lot of tests to run. It was easy and relatively pain free. The results will be sent to my doctor, and a blood bank will be notified of my type so that the right type will be available during my surgery. I'm anemic, so the chances of me needing a transfusion are high. The scary part is the statistics on blood transfusions:

  • 1 in 2 million units may contain HIV
  • 1 in 1.9 million units may have Hepatitus C
  • 1 in 137,000 may have Hepatitus B

I know those are big numbers and all, but think about all the transfusions that occur everyday across the country. It would SUCK to be the one. I could have given my own blood in advance, but that costs a lot of money and is not covered by insurance. Fingers officially crossed.

So, I am now a little bit closer to my surgery. Two more appointments up for next week!

5 comments:

Becky said...

So this is the hospital at 15th & Coit? If so, it's literally just down the street from me. If you or your parents need anything while you are there, let's make sure they have my cell number so they can call me! -B

Kimberly 'Riggle' Franek said...

Things I laughed out loud at: Will she just stand outside of the shower, making sure I don't keel over or will she be in there with me in some sort of heavy duty raincoat? AND Then this hot (sorry, Matt) doc comes in, and I have to bend over in front of him while he runs his finger down my dripping spine. Ha! Those always make for the best stories. And guess what? I'm sure there will be several more embarrassing moments in the future. When you're faced with something like this, all modesty goes down the drain.

This sounds intense. And it will be, no doubt. But you're a strong person...physically and emotionally. You can do this. Matt and I will be praying for you and will help with anything you need. Sorry for the novel.

Megs said...

Becky, I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but from 75, I head west on George Bush, exit Preston and turn right. Then it's right on Alliance, before you get to Plano Pkwy.

Thank you for the offer to help. I am so lucky to have met you and taken lessons from you. I'm not sure if I still have your cell, so could you e-mail it to me?

Kim, I'm glad I can make you laugh! You're right about the embarrassing moments. I'll have to kiss my modesty good-bye before too long!

Thank you so much for always giving me such sincere well wishes and wonderful advice. You can write me a novel anytime you want!!

xoxo

KEC said...

I’m glad you went on the tour too. I agree, I think it will calm your mind if you know as much as you can. I imagine you fear the unknown the most so getting acclimated with your surrounds will help.

Questions/comments:
1) How long is surgery?

2) When does it start…i.e., what time?

3) What are your parent's numbers? (you can email them to me)

4) What does your family need that day and during your stay (e.g., food, check on the house, mail picked up)? This is going to be just as hard on them as it is on you.

5) My plan is to visit the day of surgery, but I know there is a chance I won’t be able to see you. You know I’ll be there while you’re in PUC. And I definitely want to be there when you take your first shower, purely for the entertainment factor ;-)

Megs said...

Kelsey,

You're definitely right about my fear of the unknown.

1) I'll know next week when I have my pre-op with Dr. Hostin. He's supposed to go over the surgery with me in detail and answer all my questions. I'm sure he has no idea about just how long my list is!

2) I check in at 5:30 a.m. for my 7:30 a.m. surgery. Eek!

3) I just e-mailed them to you.

4) One or both of my sisters are supposed to check the mail/house and all of that. I think my parents are good on food, too. We drove around the area on Monday to locate all the good restaurants, and the cafeteria inside the hospital wasn't bad. Thank you!

5) I know you'll be there for me! As for the shower part, I'm not so sure I need even more people to see me naked, even if it is just you. ;-)

xoxo

Copyright © 2008 - Crooked Megs - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template